Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Thoughts on 2007: Michael Clayton

I admit that I probably overvalue Michael Clayton. This is the result of years of actually trying to write screenplays, where the thing you really start to appreciate is true professionalism. This was a smart movie. It had great economical rhythm, a balance of character, an introverted seriousness, a visceral score and use of sound, an honest to goodness acting performance from George Clooney, a complete reinvigoration of tired genre, even some lofty aspirations, and a touch of the divine introspective. It's a rare feat and something I truly appreciate after years of figuring out how hard it is to write a compelling mainstream flick... It's hard.

So ignoring all those technical and sound reasons that I just lathered over, I'm going to just mention the two things that I felt elevated the film above that "normal movie" stuff. First off we have what I lovingly refer to as the opening "asshole" speech. Not an "opening asshole" but a speech at the opening referring to birth out of an asshole. It's a symbolic gesture representing the entire legal paradigm and comes out of the mouth of a bi-polar Tom Wilkinson. I don't think many movies would start off with such a raucous statement, but Tony Gilroy and co. understood the intrinsic value of doing so. You don't hide your ambition in a movie, especially when your ambition is your strength. That's the exact attitude that makes PT Anderson such a good artist. And luckily Gilroy knew when to employ that tactic. Second, they take a legal drama and drop a hint of the collective unconscious in there. It's not labored, it's not even the point, but it is a point and it saves a characters life. Maybe it's even what spurs on a climactic decision. Either way, I loved it's inclusion.

Recommendation: Very High. The rest of the movies I still have to review for 2007 are what I would consider "Favorites" of the year. And never will you find such a convincing argument against fighting the tide of corporate domination than this, that really isn't trying to make a point of anything... and maybe thus succeeds.

No comments: