Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Thoughts on 2007: Atonement

Well this one is getting a lot of awards attention. I don't get it. I mean it's a beautiful period piece and that is usually award pay-dirt, but I have yet to meet anyone who loves this film. Everyone has the same reaction, "something was off about it" or "the ending didn't connect with me even though I knew I should have a certain reaction." Don't worry Atonement can be easily explained.

It's simple. This is a 50 minute film with an 110 minute ending. I don't know how the book handled it but the first sequence of the film was brilliant and intensely gripping. Everything after that is merely fallout. Nothing develops. A few things merely "happen". Our beloved characters languish on and on in painful reaction to the turning point at the end of the first sequence. Thus after 110 of dreamy fallout sequences we are left unaffected now matter how much we connected with our characters before. It's kind of a shame really.

Also the Dunkirk tracking shot might go down in personal history as the most unnecessary and over indulgent shot I've ever seen. Sure It's achingly beautiful, but it's completely superfluous. Whatever point Joe Wright made with it, he made 30 seconds into it.

No comments: